Review: Kinky Boots Tour! (Durham, NC)

For my birthday present, I asked my parents for tickets to the Kinky Boots tour because I absolutely love the show and the guy playing Charlie Price currently is an alum from my university. I was lucky enough to see Kinky Boots this summer on Broadway (read my review here), but I think that the tour is every bit as good!


The tour is an impressive recreation of the Broadway show, if not even better. I was particularly impressed by Aaron Walpole as Don and Tiffany Engen as Lauren. Tiffany's "The History of Wrong Guys" had the audience laughing the entire time, but she managed to infuse her performance with humanity too. I definitely could relate to her Lauren.

J. Harrison Ghee was incredible as Lola in his singing, acting, and dancing. His "Land of Lola" was absolutely stunning (if only I could dance like he can!), but his "Hold Me In Your Heart" made me and much of the audience cry. Lola's humor isn't something that just any actor can pull off, but he certainly did. As he's from Fayetteville (not far from the DPAC theater), the audience went a bit crazy at the line "I'm from just down the road."


One of the main reasons that I wanted to see the tour was to see Adam Kaplan as Charlie Price. Adam graduated from Elon University a few years before I started there and I was able to see him in the ensemble of Newsies a few years back.

Adam was lovely as Charlie Price, a character that's a bit difficult at times to make likable. Adam seemed much younger than most Charlie Prices I've seen, which I think added to the character's vulnerability. Not only were Adam's vocals amazing, but his acting showed Charlie's struggles with himself and his father so well.

My sister, Hannah, with Adam 
Me with Adam!
I was lucky enough to get to chat with Adam at stage door and he was very sweet. We had a lovely chat about Elon...and how happy he was to get to go to Cookout while here in North Carolina!

If the Kinky Boots tour is coming anywhere near you, definitely go see it! It has an important message that everyone should hear and it is guaranteed to put a smile on your face.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig