Review: Kinky Boots

Kinky Boots’ message of the importance of being yourself and not conforming is one that seemed especially relevant after recent events in Orlando. It was my first time ever seeing the show after listening to the West End cast recording on repeat for months and it did not disappoint. The costumes and sets are beautiful, the music had me dancing in my chair (yes, I’m embarrassing), and the dancing was incredible. I would definitely recommend going to see Kinky Boots anywhere that you can, be that Broadway, the West End, or on tour.

Kinky Boots is the story of a man named Charlie Price who has inherited a failing shoe factory after his father’s death. As he struggles to decide if he wants to pursue his own life or carry out his father’s legacy, he meets Lola, a drag queen who has some issues of her own. Together they team up to try to save the factory.


Alan Mingo Jr. was absolutely stunning as Lola. Not only does he have an incredible voice and is he a great dancer, but his stage presence is exactly what the character of Lola needs. Not to mention that he walks better in heels than I do! He absolutely broke my heart when he sang “Hold Me in Your Heart.” Alan is by far the strongest member of the Kinky Boots cast. (And he was a total sweetheart at stage door.)

I have to mention Jeanna De Waal as Lauren, Charlie’s love interest, and Daniel Stewart Sherman as Don, a burly worker, as well. Jeanna's Lauren was absolutely hysterical, while still likeable and…dare I say it…relatable. Her rendition of “The History of Wrong Guys” was amazing both vocally and acting-wise. Daniel was also simultaneously hilarious and heart-warming as Don.

The only cast member that didn’t completely thrill me was Andy Kelso as Charlie Price. While his singing was lovely, he was lacking in the charisma that is necessary to make Charlie not seem like a jerk. I especially noticed this in “Soul of a Man” and the voice mail part of “Hold Me in Your Heart” which fell a bit flat, in my opinion. I also have to admit that I think I’m a bit spoiled for the role of Charlie because I’m used to hearing Killian Donnelly on the West End cast album, who has a stunning voice and enough charisma to fill all of Manhattan. 

My roommate Kendal and I with Alan 
Despite whatever flaws it has, the Broadway production of Kinky Boots is truly one that shouldn’t be missed. Alan Mingo Jr. shines in the part of Lola, the dancing will blow your mind, and you’ll leave much happier than you were going in.

PLAYBILL GIVEAWAY!

Because I ended up with an extra playbill for Kinky Boots, I wanted to do a little giveaway. Not only is it a playbill in great condition, it’s also a Pride Playbill! If you’d like to enter to win, just leave a comment below and tell me what your favorite show you’ve ever seen is. Don’t forget to leave your email address or Twitter username so that I can contact you to tell you if you’ve won! The competition will close on July 1. 
Blogger Template Created by pipdig