Review: Kinky Boots Broadway

A Kinky Boots review is better late than never, right? In March, I finally got the chance to see my favorite actor Killian Donnelly as Charlie Price on Broadway. Kinky Boots is actually one of my favorite shows, as I saw it last summer on Broadway and I saw the tour in the fall. However, it's the West End cast album with Killian that I've always listened to so I was so excited to finally see him in the role.


There was definitely something in the air because the audience went wild over the show. I was lucky to have an amazing orchestra seat (thanks, Mom and Dad!) for this moment that I'd been waiting for. I think that the show's message of acceptance and love has become even more important with our current political climate. I recommend it to anyone going to New York!

I loved Taylor Louderman as Wendy in Peter Pan Live! so I was so excited to see her as the quirky and too relatable Lauren, who works at Price & Sons. Her Lauren was so adorable that I don't think anyone could not root for her! She gave her a depth that I think the character sometimes lacks, much as I love her. And her "History of Wrong Guys" was absolutely amazing!


I was lucky enough to see J. Harrison Ghee as Lola on tour and he has only improved since making the leap to Broadway. His Lola is absolutely legendary, as he handles humor and drama equally well. His "Hold Me In Your Heart" made me cry once again! I also never fail to be impressed by his dancing, which is utterly fantastic.


Killian Donnelly as Charlie Price was everything I'd hoped for and more. If only we could keep him on Broadway for longer! Charlie is a difficult character in some ways because he's really not very likable to be honest. But Killian manages to make him sympathetic and really portrays his crisis about how to proceed with his life. Killian's "Soul of a Man" is the stuff of legends, but he also shines in songs like "Everybody Say Yeah" and Charlie's soliloquies.


While Kinky Boots is always an amazing show, the current cast truly shines and makes the source material even better. I highly recommend going to see it if you're in the city!
Blogger Template Created by pipdig