Review: She Loves Me Screening

On December 1, Fathom Events and Broadway HD paired up to screen the filmed version of Roundabout's production She Loves Me to movie theaters across the United States. I could write an entire post (and probably will at some point in the next few months) about how important screenings and livestreamings are for making theatre more accessible and less elitist. I actually saw the production four times this summer (review) and watched the livestream as it occurred, but I still immediately jumped on tickets to see it in the cinema.

Simply put, watching She Loves Me last night felt like greeting a dear friend. I'll never be over how amazingly detailed and beautiful the costumes and set were for this show. Amalia's pajamas during the "Vanilla Ice Cream" sequence might just be one of my favorite costumes of all time. The filming of the show was also incredibly well done; it managed to capture every little moment that I wanted to see, even when that actor wasn't the center of attention. It was the best filming of a live show I've ever seen.

It's so secret that Laura Benanti is my favorite Broadway actress and I have become more enamored of her Amalia Bolish every time I've seen the show. My little sister leaned over to me and said "hashtag goals" during "Will He Like Me" and I couldn't agree more. Laura does a fabulous job of combining humor with vulnerability, especially in the café scenes. One thing that I noticed last night that I didn't notice when I saw the show live: how flawless her hair was the entire show.

I've loved Zachary Levi ever since he voiced Flynn Rider and getting to meet him four times at stage door this summer only made me love him more. His George Nowack is incredibly endearing. Zac truly shines in the hilarious (and relatable) "Tonight at Eight" and shows a lovely softer side in the finale scene.


Jane Krakowski is stunning as the unlucky-in-love Ilona Ritter and her "I Resolve" may honestly hold the best acting of the entire show. Gavin Creel is the perfect villain that you love to hate as Steven Kodaly and his "Ilona" and "Grand Knowing You" are showstoppers. (My friends can tell you about how I have a strange habit of doing lunges while singing Ilona. I have no idea where it came from, but I did them all over New York City this summer.)

I truly think that Nicholas Barasch, who plays Arpad, is a future Broadway star. His "Try Me" is frankly one of the best performances of the show and it's astounding to consider how he holds his own in this star-studded cast.

I'm actually considering buying a subscription to Broadway HD so that I can have constant access to this show and to support them in their efforts to make Broadway more accessible for everyone. If you didn't get a chance to see this glorious production of She Loves Me at the cinema, then you can watch it now on Broadway HD.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig