Review: C'est la Vie

If you love Paris, memoirs, or travel writing, then C'est la Vie by Suzy Gershman might be the book for you! This bestselling writer's memoir is subtitled "An American Woman Begins a New Life in Paris and -- Voila! -- Becomes Almost French" just about sums it up. 


As someone who loves all things French, I picked this up simply to read about life in Paris. But this memoir is much more. It explains how Suzy moved to France following her husband's unexpected death and how she copes with her grief in a new country. From an affair with a nobleman to figuring out how French kitchen appliances work, her stories are delightfully honest and funny.

I have to admit...it took me months to get through this book. Not because I'm a slow reader, but because I kept getting distracted by other books. The book is good, but not thrilling. Granted, it's divided into tiny chapters so it would be perfect to in very small intervals (like on the morning train or waiting in line at carpool. I also know that I struggled to relate to Suzy as she's much closer to my mother's age than my own, so a more mature audience might appreciate the memoir more.

Overall, I definitely recommend giving C'est la Vie a try...even if I don't think it's one I'm going to re-read.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig