Best Theatre Experiences of 2015

This has been a great year of theatre for me! I saw Les Miserables and Miss Saigon in the West End, plus Newsies and Wicked on US national tour. I discovered Hamilton and Gigi, not to mention that it was the year of The Last Five Years movie. I wanted to share with all of you, my best theatre experiences of the year:

Seeing Dreamgirls in Raleigh 
I love finding great theatre that's inexpensive and close to home. And seeing Dreamgirls was even better because one of the leads in it goes to my university! Read my review.

Seeing my best friend perform 
I was lucky enough to get to see my best friend, Lucy, perform twice while I was in Scotland: once singing a song from Elisabeth das Musical at a cabaret and another time singing "Time Heals Everything" at her voice recital. Luckily, I filmed both of them.



Seeing Les Miserables in London


Getting to see Les Mis in London in March with an incredible cast was one of the highlights of my year. While at first I was sad that Peter Lockyer and David Thaxton were both off the night I saw it, I ended up being immensely pleased that my family and I got to see Simon Shorten's Valjean and James Gant's Javert. Of course, seeing Carrie Hope Fletcher and Rob Houchen as Eponine and Marius for the third time was incredible and I absolutely adored both Michael Colbourne and Christian Edwards. 

Read my review


Seeing Miss Saigon in London 


From the moment I discovered Miss Saigon, I knew it was my show. I've rarely loved a cast like I loved the London revival cast so I was so pleased to see the show for a second time in March. That I got to go with my mom made it even better! This year, I got to see Tanya Manalang as Kim and Niall Sheehy as Chris. I'd always wanted to see Niall Sheehy as Enjolras when he was understudying the role so I was very excited and he definitely came through with a stunning performing. 

Read my review

Falling in love with Hamilton (and getting a favorite from Lin Manuel Miranda) 


When I first started hearing about Hamilton, it didn't seem like the thing for me. While I have a fondness for history musicals, the idea of a hip-hop show perplexed me. But, I recognized that it was a momentous occasion in musical theatre history and I had a lot of respect for Lin-Manuel Miranda, so I gave it a listen when he released it for free on NPR the Monday before the album's release.

I spent the next few weeks falling in love. I honestly don't know any other way to describe it. Having Hamilton has made my semester so much more wonderful, as it supported me through rough days and inspired me to make plans for my future and made me new friends. I can't wait to see it in New York City in 2016! One of the best days has to be when the man himself, Lin-Manuel Miranda favorited my tweet...(though the day Daveed Diggs favorited my tweet was also pretty exciting.)

Read my review of the album from the week it was released.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig