How to Pack for a Summer Abroad

Sorry I've been absent lately, but you'll have to forgive me as I have a pretty good excuse. I'm in England right now! My best friend, Stefanie, and I left the States last Friday and got to Brighton mid-day Saturday. We're studying here at the university for four weeks before spending a week in London.

Packing was so incredibly stressful (honestly, 50 pounds just isn't enough) and there are so few posts discussing how to pack for an extended trip abroad in the summer. So I figured I could share with you what I brought to give you some ideas if you're packing for your own trip! 

I had a bit of a challenge because I needed to pack for class, sight-seeing, hanging out in Brighton, potentially going to the beach, and being in London. All in one 50-pound suitcase, one backpack, and one carry-on duffel! 

I brought my school L. L. Bean backpack and this Forever 21 faux leather duffel.
I brought these for shopping and carrying things about 
My Kate Spade bag, my Fossil bag, and a Forever 21 bag
(that I actually switched out for a different one last minute)


I brought eight dresses total: 5 casual ones and 3 more dressy ones (including the black sheath I'll wear to the British Celebrity party the school is throwing; I'm going as Audrey Hepburn in "Breakfast at Tiffany's"!)



(I've no idea why this picture is turned the wrong way!)
I brought 4 crop tops (to pair with skirts), 4 nice t-shirts, 2 black tank tops, and three sheer shirts. 



I brought 4 high-waisted skirts (including my new blue lace one that you may recognize from my haul video), 1 pair of high waisted dark jeans, 1 pair of high waisted light wash lightly-ripped jeans, 1 pair of high waisted jean shorts, and 1 pair of drawstring pants. 




For working out and hanging out in my room, I brought 2 pairs of shorts, 1 pair of yoga pants, and 1 pair of Lulu Lemon cropped yoga pants. I brought 4 t-shirts and 1 tank top, as well, in addition to two sweatshirts and my beloved flannel. 





 I only brought my trench coat and my jean jacket because jackets take up a lot of space and weigh a lot! I wore the jean jacket on the plane so it didn't take up weight in my suitcase. I brought 3 camis, 2 pairs of biker shorts (to go under dresses and skirts), a bandeau, 2 pairs of tights, 2 pairs of leggings, and the grey tank top tunic that I wore on the plane. I brought 3 PJ tops, 2 PJ shorts, and a pair of PJ pants to mix-and-match. I also brought two swimsuits and a maxi dress (to be a cover-up) in case Stefanie drags me down to the beach to hang out on a warm day.


I thought that picking shoes would be the hardest part of packing, but I actually decided which ones to bring while in the car one day, just thinking about what I wear the most and which are the most sensible and versatile. I brought my combat boots for rainy days (I wore them on the plane), my black wedge sneakers (for walking), my sneakers (for working out), my flip flops (for walking over to Stef's building), and my gladiator sandals for everyday wear. I brought two pairs of comfy low heels because I'm a shortie and love to wear heels (even to class and to walk around town) and my pair of black flats that look a bit like pointe shoes. 

I didn't think you'd all care to see my cosmetics or school stuff or other odds-and-ends. In any case, I hope you enjoyed reading this and that it might be helpful to you! In a few months, hopefully, I'll take you along while I figure out how to pack for spending the entire spring abroad!  
Blogger Template Created by pipdig